Wednesday, September 14, 2011

On Fake PreCentral and piracy

Hey, it's that website with four posts that aren't very funny! It updated! Maybe it'll be some vicious, slapdash satire of the mobile operating system I've come to know and love!

Oh, it's a serious post. Never mind.

In any case, I'm just going to blather on about the state of this blog and its content, so if you're expecting some dumb comment about Leo Apotheker's butt... sorry.

Actually, I now have an idea for my next post.

On the website
On August 5th, I was invited by an editor at PreCentral to join their editorial staff as a columnist, provided that I shut down the Blogger site. I dutifully stopped posting here, and following what I thought were two weeks of reasonably productive discussion of my role, payment and schedule, the editor stopped emailing me. It's been about a month since I've heard from him despite my replies, so I feel safe in assuming that something fell through.

If there continues to be public interest in new content from this site, notify me on Twitter or in the comments and I will continue posting new stuff. If not, well, that's cool too. I'll have more time to study. Whatever happens, I'd like to thank the folks that have read, laughed at, and sent around links from this site. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Like I just ate a kitten.


On piracy
About an hour ago, Hedami Software, author of Music Player (Remix), accused me of piracy on Twitter. I'd like to take a paragraph or two to respond to his allegations and apologize for my actions.
I pirated three or four apps about six months ago at a time when I had no access to a credit card. Most of the apps I downloaded were games by large companies such as Gameloft, the piracy of which I figured would not affect the payment of hardworking webOS developers.
However, one of the apps I pirated was a native webOS app. Its developer discovered my actions and wrote me a while ago, and I replied with an apology and deleted the stolen app.
In fact, all of the aforementioned apps have been gone from my phone for months.
I'm not trying to toady to anyone; nor am I saying that what I did was right. I'm just defending myself from some degree of ill will against me that's going on across Twitter. To the developers: I apologize. While I don't support Hedami's method of publicly exposing offenders, neither do I support piracy. It is definitely a negative force on the community and I have been buying my own apps for a long time.

Okay, enough about me. New post coming tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment